The Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)/APRN is an advanced practice registered nurse who serves as a palliative care clinical expert, leader, consultant, educator, and mentor for the nursing staff and teams at UCSF Medical Center. The specialized knowledge and skills required for this role include clinical expertise in palliative care nursing; design and implementation of evidence-based practice (EBP); education and mentorship; consultation; performance improvement; and leadership. The Palliative Care CNS/APRN role has three spheres of impact across the health system’s adult services that include the patient/family, nursing/interprofessional teams, and the organization/health system. This role works collaboratively with the Clinical Practice team to support and ensure high quality standards of nursing care and professional practice to optimize patient, team, and system outcomes.
The Center for Nursing Excellence and Innovation is a Nursing support department with four main divisions: Nursing Professional Development, Nursing Quality Analytics, Nursing Practice and Research, and Nursing Continuous Improvement and Affiliate Relations. The Professional Development team includes Nursing Professional Development Specialists who oversee the training and education needs for the Department of Nursing. The Nursing Practice and Research team includes Clinical Nurse Specialists and Advanced Practice Specialists, who oversee evidence-based practice standards that optimize quality and safety patient outcomes. The Research & Scholarship team includes Nurse Scientists, a Scholarship Development Specialists and an Evidence Implementation Specialist who oversee the infrastructure for clinical inquiry, evidence-based practice, research, and innovation.
The Nursing Quality Analytics team includes nursing quality analysts who oversee data production, dissemination and analytics. The Nursing Continuous Improvement and Affiliate Relations team oversees continuous improvement processes and nursing quality with affiliate organizations. The mission of the Center of Nursing Excellence & Innovation is to prepare, support, and sustain skill acquisition, life-long learning, clinical inquiry, and scholarship that promotes excellence in patient and family care with the vision of creating, optimizing, and innovating to provide the best clinical practice, education and training, and research across the care continuum that achieves optimal patient outcomes.
- Minimum of 5 years of recent clinical RN experience in the specialty area
- In-depth knowledge of one or more clinical specialty areas, to include diagnoses, treatments, standards of practice and patient / family educational consulting and resources.
- Advanced knowledge of skill for conducting evidence-based practice, data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills to assess highly-complex issues and develop multiple options for resolution.
- Advanced interpersonal skills, with the ability to provide education, training, and direction to nursing staff, and to develop positive working relationships with patients, families, providers, employees, and outside agencies as required.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex and / or sensitive information in a clear and concise manner.
- Master’s degree from an accredited Nursing program
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) license in the State of California
- Current CA APRN license (CNS, NP, CRNA, CNM)
- Current American Heart Association CPR certification
- Specialty certification (e.g., Advanced Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (ACHPN)) or obtained within one year of hire
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.